Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Joy: (joi)


I'm Joy, the other half of the "Joy & Jem" dynamic duo. We are like the Williams sisters of hilarity. We are both giants among women (literally), diverse in many respects, but our senses of humor are eerily synced. When it comes to humor, we have a twin-like ESP, but without the weirdness often accompanying twin-ness.
By way of caveat, I feel obligated to mention that we are, in all likelihood, more funny in person than we will appear to be on this blog. In posting certain stories from our youth, I ask that people who have not heard us tell these stories in person to imagine the difficulty inherent in distilling our familial anecdotes into words and to settle (however begrudgingly) for the watered down, literary version.
So a little about me: I'm 6 feet tall and, as I already intimated, I'm hilarious (and humble, too!). I'm the second middle child, the third of four Boyd kids, and four years Jemina's senior. I like to think of myself as a "reformed introvert." In my younger (read: homely) days, I was painfully shy (you should understand by this picture), but during my adolescence I really worked on being more of a social butterfly and less of a wallflower. I will admit, however, that there are still times (ok, many times), I'd rather hang out by myself than be out and about.
Although I consider myself to be a private person, I decided to be Jemina's co-blogger because I want everyone to feel good about their childhoods after reading about ours. Seriously, if you think your childhood was weird, buckle up. You're about to be bomBoyded.

3 comments:

  1. This is James, and I am the eldest of this Boyd clan. I look forward to adding my own anecdotal comments as well as verifying the accounts as they appear. You could say I am a self appointed editor-in-chief since I am the oldest and by rights in charge of all things sibling related regardless of the fact that we are all grown adults with lives of our own. We all have our burdens to bear, but mine is certainly a labor of love. I hope our other sibling will participate, otherwise we will have to give him the label of "the one we don't speak of". Anyhoo, we've got some great stories, and I would have to concur with Joy (her middle name will be left out for now) that a live show might really be the best forum for our clumsy and unique childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne... her middle name is Anne. There I said it. and I'm not sorry either.
    Anybody remember the Bon Jovi Concert and we were screaming Bible verses out the window of our house and the cops got called on us... good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "the weirdness often accompanying twin-ness" ???? Alrighty, JBo, them's fightin words!

    ReplyDelete